Journey Through North Carolina – Part 15 ~ By Tom and Audrey ~

Hello and welcome to part 15 of our journey through North Carolina.

As we continued along the Blue Ridge Parkway climbing higher the cloud cover got so thick it was difficult seeing what was in front of us.  I guess this happens when you mix rain, warm temperatures and an elevation of 6000-feet plus above sea level.  What we could see through the fog was truly beautiful but these conditions mixed with narrow roads we were sharing with lots of bicyclist was certainly a formula for accident waiting to happen.  Looking at the maps it was time to break from the Blue Ridge Parkway and head down some country roads as we began singing that John Denver classic song “Country Roads”.  Yup, we are silly and childlike… but isn’t this what life is about… besides, it’s a great tune.

Well this is it for today.  We hope you come back and see how the trip unfolds as we share more of USA Through Our Eyes.  Until then be safe.

1. poeturja

Beautiful! Fog, when we’re trying to go to work, is a nightmare. But fog, when we’re vacationing and have time to kick back and breathe it in, is lovely 😀

2. TheresaBarker

Oh! How I relish those rainy feelings and sounds in your video! We in Seattle have had dry days for a new record. Just last night we finally got a bit of rain – overnight – so I did not see it. And we’ll be back to 80s temps next week. Thank you for the lovely respite! 🙂

3. Heide

How gorgeous! I think this is one of my favorite clips yet — you’ve reminded me of how wild and beautiful those back roads can be. Hats off to you too for observing a safe driving speed in those conditions. 🙂

Thanks Heide. It was an experience for sure. It is great to see everyone being careful and looking out for one another. We don’t know how those cyclist held up though with that rain pouring down. It is so nice that you are with us on the adventure.

4. Margaret from soulfood101blog

I posted a comment to this post, yesterday so if it pops up, I apologize. And of course I don’t remember word for word what I posted hahaha sorry but it was something like… oh to be silly and childlike, it’s the best way to be. I love the video, even with the rain it is beautiful! God makes the most beautiful things for His children to enjoy :):)

5. KathrinS

It looks very beautiful though, despite the fog! So green.
    Our weather hasn’t been any better, either. All rainy, ever since we got back from Italy.

Yikes for sure. There were moments when we held our breath. We couldn’t take our eyes off the road for long. I guess this is why they have so many pull offs so you can stop and enjoy the views. It is so nice having you with us for the ride. You would have loved the gardens along the way. Flowers of all sorts.

6. newsspellcom.org

The panoramic scenery evoked a sense of the promise of mysterious adventure contrasted with perhaps a touch of eerie foreboding with the sound of the raindrops upon the windshield.

7. houstonphotojourney

Ha – I would soooo be cranking up Take Me Home Country Roads myself! What a classic and great song! So appropriate too! Even with the fog and little rain it still looks like a beautiful time driving!

8. Ann McDunn

Brrr bad weather Tom and Audrey, the video is great and the link let see how beautiful it is by the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stay childlike, never loss the child in you, but it is not silly, I like John Denver, and the first I thought was the song “Sweet Surrender”. Warm greetings, Ann.

9. weekendcampervanning

“West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home….” love that song! Wow, that bike rider came out of nowhere, so dangerous. Another beautiful place with a mood of its own. Btw I love the final scene with your campervan – your lovely home on wheels.

Isn’t it great when those tunes come to mind as you’re traveling down the roadways, lol. Yes when we would come around some of those sharp turns and suddenly there was a bicycle our hearts would stop. It’s surprising there isn’t more accidents on the highways there. We are so pleased with our little home on wheels. It goes everywhere on the grid or off. It is so nice having you along with us!!!

10. Pit

Lovely video! 🙂 I can easily imagine one driving through these mountain singing! I love the John Denver song, and I’m also thinking now of “In the Blues Ridge Mountains of Virginia”, even if you’re talking of NC.
    Btw, I still have “Galveston, oh Galveston” on my mind, since just now I am posting about our trip there.
    Have a great day,
    Pit

LOL. Isn’t it funny how the old songs come to mind as we encounter areas. “Galveston” was an awesome song and just love the way Glenn Campbell sang it. When you are entering the area you need to roll down the windows Pit and belt it out, lol. Have the Mrs. video it! We’d love to see that on the blog post, LOL.

It is isn’t it. We will definitely return. We know what you mean about the cyclist. We’ve cycled and to be on that narrow hilly road with cars zipping by would to our belief be an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you. We couldn’t believe the range of beauty it has. From suburban to urban and everything in between. Thank you for making time to share with us.