Journey Through North Carolina – Part 2 ~ By Tom and Audrey ~

Before leaving on any road trip, there is always preparation work to be done.  On our list was making sure Daisy was mechanically sound.  This was only our 3rd long distance road trip in our travel van Daisy since purchasing it in late fall of 2016.   Since this would be our first spring/summer excursion we needed to de-winterize it.  One would think “what’s the big deal” and you would be right.  But, being our first time we wanted to be safe and have a dealer do it.  We scheduled the appointment and $400.00’s later we were set.  Wow, this was great… now we could use the faucets and toilet.

Next on our list was some small fix it projects and finally was bathe Emma.  You dog owners probably know a 60-pound chocolate lab can sometimes be a tad bit odiferous especially when inside a camper van that has limited living space so we wanted her to begin the trip fresh and clean.  Emma does love her baths so this was an easy task

Well this is it for today.  We hope you come back and see how the trip unfolds as we share more of the USA Through Our Eyes.  Until then be safe.

usathroughoureyes
  1. Elizabeth

I love how good Emma is in the bath! Sweet girl! Remy & Henry act as though we’re using acid and sandpaper when we bathe them.

2. Claremary P. Sweeney

Dear friends, Just to let you know, you don’t have to bathe a cat. I’ve been escaping the house on a daily basis and think I would love to ride in a camper called Daisy. Your Friend, Roxie Dammit aka The Other Cat.

She loves being on the road with us and is a real companion. We meet so many wonderful people because of her wagging tail, lol. Thank you for making time Deborah to be with us on our adventure.

3. Always a Foreigner

Our chocolate lab needs bathing rather frequently. He sleeps in the bed with us so a smelly dog is a big no-no. You’re so lucky Emma loves her baths…Mocha acts like we’re sentencing him to torture every time we scrub him clean.

LOL. This is great you have a chocolate lab also. They are great travel companions. How is he in the woods with all the wildlife around? Do you let him off leash? Emma wants to hunt down every scent. That’s interesting Mocha doesn’t like bath time. For Emma, if there is water she’s in it. Great having you along. Be safe out there and keep sharing your adventures for all of us to be a part of. Thanks also for your comments.

• Always a Foreigner

Our boy is actually an old man. He almost 17 years old, so he doesn’t have the energy to hunt any scents. He still will halfheartedly chase the herd of deer in our backyard though. I know he loves to swim and be in water…but for some odd reason he HATES the bath! You stay safe as well, I’m glad that you were able to navigate those turns on the BRP. They can be so tricky.

4. Light Ministry Blog

Sounds like a fun road trip. My wife and I just got back from a week on the road in 3 states and it was so much fun!

Steve

This is awesome Steve. Get away time with the bride makes for a happy marriage and the opportunity to be in the world and sharing your faith by your walk. We find it easy to be in our home but its when we get on the road and with the people that the real test of our walk is put to the test.

5. Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

I have spent many a happy [procrastinating] hour watching YouTube videos of folks who customize their vans into travel vehicles for l-o-n-g road trips – so it was fun watching you add the net, etc. (since I feel like I actually KNOW you guys).

I’m sure you’ve investigated toilet options, but the videos I’ve seen seem to believe this feature is not optional – lol. MOST prefer to avoid grey water tanks when possible, however. They seem equally thrilled with “running water” so I got a big grin from your mention of these two items.

I’m almost as excited to read about this trip as I might have been if I were traveling with you actually vs. virtually. Eager for Part 4.
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD/EFD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

LOL. Yes, the grey tank isn’t bad but that black one… well you can imagine. Actually they empty so easily when the macerator works. That’s an upcoming post. It is great having you along with us even if its only a virtual ride along. We feel your presence through your encouragement. You always say the right things to keep us moving forward. You are an excellent life coach!!!!!

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

And you are a doll to say so – thank you!

btw – I typed grey but was thinking black (re tanks and emptying same). No surprise to read about the many ways folks have come up with to work around that little chore.

I’m looking forward to your “pragmatics” post. I’m so curious about how you manage to support yourselves on the road (spiritually and psychologically and practically – not monetarily, btw).
        xx,
        mgh

Its funny how the chores are there regardless of being at home or on the road but the how too is a bit different. Because of the compressed space each thing we do requires immediate attention so as not to lose ones mind. We start each morning with God and laugh our way through the rest of the day (so we don’t harm each other, LOL). It just seems to flow and some days we wonder how it does but it does. We’ll be definitely be posting more on this topic of survival on the road. The physical part is pretty easy its the other parts that can easily be put off but with consequences, lol.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

SO eager to read about it. For some bizarre reason I’m fascinated by life in tiny spaces.

Perspective, I guess – keeping me grateful despite my current reality of too few closets and my yearning for more effective storage space. lol (My kingdom for a utility closet!)
        xx,
        mgh

LOL. There is definitely a science to managing in small quarters. When one of us is moving the other sits. Its funny because Emma knows the routine and get up between the front captains chairs and sits with her little tail wagging. At night when we push the button for the bed to fold out she waits then sachets to the little cubby hole underneath it which is like a little fort and snuggles in till morn. Its amazing how much room there is for as little room as there is, lol.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

Amazing how adaptable dogs can be. They actually seem to prefer those little dens (with sufficient romping time outside, of course!)

As I watch those road-warrior videos I often wonder if I could live that way myself. In some ways it seems almost simpler – and how fun to be able to take your “house” with you around the country.

Then I look around and think that organizing my current digs for functional ease doesn’t seem quite so daunting after all. 🙂
        xx,
        mgh

After a week in the van and returned to you current home you would feel like it was a 3000 square foot mansion, 21 cubic foot refrigerator, 300 square foot bathroom with garden tub and two walk in closets, lol.

6. TheresaBarker

I love the video “blog” elements you used in this post and the previous post. Your videography and accompanying music make us feel like we’re right there with you. What a lovely piece!

7. Gabe Burkhardt

hehehehehe I really needed to enjoy Emmas bath today. Partly because it was really cute, but mostly because its a great reminder… I better take a shower 😉

8. robbiesinspiration

You are lucky that Emma likes baths. I don’t have a dog but from what I hear it is usually quite a difficult exercise to bath them. Looking forward to reading about your trip.

9. anne leueen

I loved Emma’s bath! She looked like she knew it was bath time when she went into the store. What a lovely face she has and she was very good in the bath too. Safe travels!

Thanks Anne. Yes she loves bath time. If there is water around she’s in it, lol. So nice having you along to share it with. We gotta say how much we enjoy when you post photos of your horses. They are so strong looking and well groomed.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

Yeah – I noticed that! Tink tolerates baths well, but we have to do the blow dryer in segments – frequent breaks (and treats!). Even tho’ he is much smaller than Emma (we bathe in a plastic tub in the kitchen sink!), his hair is much longer, and Shih Tzus cannot sit around wet or they are likely to catch pneumonia (their Achilles heel). It takes more time after the actual bath itself is done than it takes to bathe him.

Aren’t those bath houses for dogs GREAT! I have friends with bigger dogs who swear by them.
        xx,
        mgh

We’re sure Tink loves that bath time as does Emma. As we bath her you can just see her eyes gleaning with ahhhh’s. Yes these bath houses are great. 10 buck and they supply multiple soaps, towels, etc. We walk out drenched but with a happy and clean dog.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

Are you able to locate a $10 bath for Emma when you are on the road, or are they mostly a city thing?

btw- Tinks eyes don’t really gleam with pleasure. I think he’s mostly accepting what’s so and hoping it won’t last much longer – lol. Shih Tzu aren’t really water dogs.
        xx,
        mgh

Yup, these self bath things are really popular. They kind of frown down on it though when we climb in the tub with our rubber ducky and Emma but hey we need a bath too, lol, lol. Emma says Tink could supervise, woof woof.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

lol – GREAT mental picture! NOW I have to get Tink a bath toy. 🙂

My friend Jason swears by those doggie baths. But I don’t think he climbs in himself, even with the terrier — no room left over with his big dog. (but then, he’s probably not as dirty as you guys get on the road, coming directly from the ‘burbs).

Tink sends Emma a big WOOF!
        xx,
        mgh

10. Ann McDunn

Both videos are great, but washi Emma is fantastic, she is so sweet and patient, a big hug for her and a wraff from Mandy. (She hate a hairdryer, to much noise 😉 )

11. poeturja

Love the doggie wash and wish there was something like that for my Rottie mix. He’s pretty good about being hosed off in the back yard since it’s always hot here, but I can see how happy Emma is and that would be a treat. Safe journey to you!

Glad you enjoyed the video of Emma’s bath experience. She loved it all except as you can see in the video how the blow dry was making her antsy. Dogs love their bath time and you like us are lucky they tolerate it.

12. Dina

You are off, so well planned and greatly organized.👍🏻
    Lovely to see Emma 🐾🐾 have her bath❣️
    Safe travels, all of you.
    Warm greetings from ☀️☀️ Norway🇳🇴